Mebeverine is used to relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and related intestinal disorders caused by spasms in the intestinal muscles. These include chronic irritable colon, spastic constipation, mucous colitis and spastic colitis.
Pharmacist - M.B.A. (Public Health) D.I.C.
What is mebeverine used for? Mebeverine is…
What is mebeverine used for?
- Mebeverine is used to relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and related intestinal disorders caused by spasms in the intestinal muscles. These include chronic irritable colon, spastic constipation, mucous colitis and spastic colitis.
- Mebeverine is licensed for use in adults and children over 10 years of age. (The tablets and liquid are not licensed for use in children under 10, and the modified-release capsules are not licensed for use in children under 18.) However, specialists do sometimes prescribe mebeverine for intestinal spasms in younger children. Your doctor or pharmacist can give you more information about this.
- You can buy mebeverine without a prescription from pharmacies for relieving IBS symptoms in adults, if IBS has been previously diagnosed by a doctor.
How does mebeverine work?
- Mebeverine hydrochloride is a type of medicine called an antispasmodic. It works by relaxing the muscle in the walls of the intestines. This relieves painful muscle spasms in the gut and reduces related symptoms like colicky abdominal pain and cramps, bloating, wind (flatulence) and diarrhoea alternating with constipation.
What are the possible side effects of mebeverine?
- Mebeverine has very few reported side effects . A few people have reported allergic reactions, such as swelling of the face, throat or tongue, difficulty breathing or skin rashes such as an itchy nettle-type rash. Stop taking mebeverine and see a doctor straight away if you think you've had an allergic reaction to it.
- If you get any other effect that you think could be related to mebeverine, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Can I drive while taking mebeverine?
- Yes - mebeverine should not affect your ability to drive.
Can I drink alcohol while taking mebeverine?
- Yes, within recommended amounts - alcohol does not affect mebeverine.