Istin Tablets - (Amlodipine)
Istin (Amlodipine) is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or a certain type of chest pain called angina, a rare form of which is Prinzmetal’s or variant angina.
Pharmacist - M.B.A. (Public Health) D.I.C.
Istin Tablets - (Amlodipine)
Why have I been prescribed Istin? Istin is used…
Why have I been prescribed Istin?
Istin is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or a certain type of chest pain called angina, a rare form of which is Prinzmetal’s or variant angina.
How does it work?
- In patients with high blood pressure your medicine works by relaxing blood vessels, so that blood passes through them more easily. In patients with angina.
- Istin works by improving blood supply to the heart muscle which then receives more oxygen and as a result chest pain is prevented and relieved. Your medicine does not provide immediate relief of chest pain from angina.
When and how do I take it?
It is best to take your medicine at the same time each day with a drink of water. It can be taken before or after food.
What’s the dose?
- The usual dose of Istin is one tablet daily.
Could it interact with other tablets?
- Istin is not known to significantly interact with any other medicines bu please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Herbal supplements should be used with caution and only after informing your doctor first.
What are the possible risks or side-effects?
Like all medicines, Istin can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms after taking this medicine. Although they are very rare, the symptoms can be severe.
- Sudden wheeziness, difficulty in breathing, swelling of eyelids, face or lips, rash or itching (especially affecting the whole body).
The following Common side-effects have been reported. If any of these cause you problems or if they last for more than one week, you should contact your doctor.
- Headache, dizziness, sleepiness.
- Palpitations (awareness of your heart beat), flushing.
- Abdominal pain, feeling sick (nausea).
- Ankle swelling (oedema), tiredness.
Can I drink alcohol while taking it?
There are no known interactions between alcohol and Istin.
Always ask your doctor/pharmacist however as this may depend on what other tablets you are taking.
What if I’m pregnant/breastfeeding?
Amlid should not be given during pregnancy or while breast feeding.
If you have any more questions please ask your Pharmacist.
Remember to keep all medicines out of reach of children
Please Note: We have made every effort to ensure that the content of this information sheet is correct at time of publish, but remember that information about drugs may change. This sheet does not list all the uses and side-effects associated with this drug. For full details please see the drug information leaflet which comes with your medicine. Your doctor will assess your medical circumstances and draw your attention to any information or side-effects which may be relevant in your particular